CLEP exams are basically miracles for students returning to school and wanting to gain their degree more quickly. Here are myths about the exam busted!
- The experience and knowledge I gained by working allows me to skip studying.
Even though many of the questions on the CLEP test you on knowledge that can be learned through work experience, there may be areas on the exam that you don’t know. Make sure you study to know those areas.
- The only study material I need is the course’s textbook.
This is a myth that needs to be dispelled for all college students: textbooks are great starts, but the lecturer will often inject their courses with knowledge that will be on exams that are not in the textbook. Therefore, the best option is to get the recommended study material.
- I will be able to study for and pass the exam with a week of studying.
No. Remember that the exam covers material from a typical 12-week course. If you are Rain Man and can memorize large amounts of information in a glance, then sure, go for it. But you will most likely need longer.
- Since I am only taking the exam, I will not have to work as hard.
Even though you are not required to complete assignments or papers, you will still need to work hard to make sure you learn the material.
- I can run through the topics tested in order and pass the exam.
The exam will test you on the topics in the study guides, but will not move in the same order as the test. Don’t go through the topics once and be done with it.
- All the study guides I need are online.
Partially true, but many of these study guides will need to be purchased as well, so keep that in mind.
- CLEP is just as expensive as college courses.
Completely untrue. The CLEP exam is usually $80, with the study guides costing much less.
- My university won’t accept the results.
While this may be true, many universities do accept the results. Simply check which universities accept the results.
- It is quicker to just take the college course.
It may be quicker to take the college course, but taking the CLEP is also at your own pace, so it can be quicker.
- The only subjects available are subjects outside my interest area.
CLEP exams are given in numerous different subjects, including business, science, and the humanities. Check which are available and choose the best option for you!
Don't forget! We guarantee that you will pass your CLEP test! Click here to see our available CLEP study guides.